The picture to the left is of a "Paradise Tree Snake" Chrysopelea paradisi. The photo is a little out of focus but that's coz I was just nervous (didn't want to get too close for too long). I met this particular guy in my bedroom! (but more on that a bit later). This photo was taken in our carport after the snake catcher guy managed to track it down and capture it.A little more about the Paradise Tree Snake:
It's actually a very beautiful snake with a yellow belly and black scales on top which are punctuated with red dots all the way down its spine. Some say its a rare snake - but I can tell you that they are by no means rare around here. Its only mildly poisonous and by all accounts a bite doesn't seem to effect humans adversely (or dogs for that matter- again more on that a bit later).


Perhaps the most famous (or infamous) thing about these snakes is that they can FLY! Actually its more like gliding (as Carol found out - more later). Check out the following link for photos of them in flight! http://homepage.mac.com/j.socha/aerial_images/paradisi/paradisi_air_gallery_1.html I've read that they can even take out prey in mid flight!OK - so we see snakes now and again on our verandah - hanging out in the pot plants or wrapped around the light pole or even trying to crawl up the wall. The Paradise Tree Snake always seemed very inquisitive. When they're on the other side of the window I often have a good stare at them and they seem to stare back with genuine interest. Carol has even gone outside to touch one and it didn't seem to mind that much.
We've had two of these in the house now and thats where I draw the line. By all means hang out on the verandah - just don't come inside the bloody house!
The First Encounter:
The first time I met one inside the house I was having a nap (Friday afternoon lunch time nap before going back to work). I heard a rustling at the window on the venetian blinds next to the bed (too loud to be gecko) so I looked up - and bugger me there it was - elegantly draped between a series of lateral blinds! - I've NEVER jumped out of bed that fast in my life. Ran out of the room in just my boxer shorts and started working on my "what the f*!k should I do" plan.
"Call the snake catcher"! - SHIT! - wouldn't you know it mobile phone network is down. OK use a land line - SHIT! - don't have one! By this time my dog thought I was raving mad as I was asking her for advice. OK go to the neighbours house and make the call from there. - SHIT! - where are my clothes? - SHIT! - in the room with the friggin' snake! - OK - suck it up Nick... run inside the room keeping your eye on the snake and grab your clothes. DONE. Seal up gap in door to prevent snake from exiting room and entering another. DONE. GO next door to make phone call to snake catcher - no neighbours - SHIT! - It's a Friday afternoon and most people are at the mosque! - OK go the office and call from there...
Lady: "Hello sir how can I help you?"
Me: "Yeah are you the snake catching people?"
Lady: "Yes sir we are how can I help?"
Me: "Can you remove a snake for me?"
Lady: "Yes sure what is your location?"
Me: "[LOCATION]"
Lady: "And where is the snake now sir?"
Me: "In the bedroom."
Lady: "ohhhhh... that's not good! We'll send someone around straight away."
Me: "Cheers" (so when would they NOT send someone over straight away?)
So I go back home and wait for the snake catcher.............. 1 hour later he turns up.
Snake Dude: "Sorry sir mobile phones aren't working so didn't know to come here sooner".
Me: "Thats cool it's in the bedroom. I'll wait outside with the dog"
..... 30 minutes later...
Snake Dude: "Sir I think he's gone home already - can't find him."
- Well thats just not f*!k'n good enough! - If he can come in and go out again then he can certainly come back whenever he feels like terrorising me.
So despite the fact that I am a complete pussy when it comes to snakes (as if you couldn't tell already) - I actually help "snake dude" go through the room looking for the stupid snake (actually it was mostly so he didn't find my porn stash :) - jokes.
NO snake. So trying to be as reassuring as possible "snake dude" tells me; "it's OK sir if you see him again just call my personal number and I'll come and get him".... Yeah cheers thats gonna be really useful when the mobile network is down!
So "snake dude" bids me farewell and I close the front door thanking him for his efforts and immediately begin isolating the portion of my house where I last saw the snake... being careful to ensure that I have all my clothes and prized belongings with me so that I never have to go into that area again. I can live with sleeping on the couch in the living room for the rest of my time in Borneo and I can always pee in the garden and use the hose pipe for a shower.
...... 30 minutes later "snake dude" comes back ; "I found him sir!". "Did you catch him yet?" I reply. "No sir I thought I'd tell you the 'good news' first, I'll show you." So me and "snake dude" go downstairs to the carport and he shows me where the snake is and begins outlining his theory of how the hell the snake got into my bedroom in the first place... "DUDE! JUST CATCH THE 'EFFING' SNAKE!".
So - Finally "snake dude" catches the snake and thats how I got the photo. Turns out the damn thing crawled up through a crack around the hole where the air-con intake pipe enters the house. I spent the night sleeping on the couch anyway and the next day siliconed up and sealed all the holes around the air-con intakes around the house.
I'll share the next "Paradise Tree Snake Encounter" in another blog (the next encounter is quite scary - so stay tuned).
PTX 0.3
- Over

No comments:
Post a Comment